Saturday, October 14, 2006

Better Lucky than Good at Lucky Chances

I played at Lucky Chances just south of SF for the first time yesterday. LC has seasoned aggressive players and a wild 2-3-5 $200 spread limit game. In that game, I was above my level of play but tried to "hang around". After losing for the better part of two hours, I woke up with KK in the big blind. Five people had called before it got back around to me. I made it fifty to go. This was a game with a lot of chasers and I wanted to be heads up if possible. Two of the five limpers called me. The flop comes out 10-5-7 with two hearts. It is a semi rainbow for me. Again, I don't want any flush drawers, so I push with $200. One guy raises me all in for my last $150. The other guy folds. I violate all my owe rules and immediately call him. Neither of us flips up our cards. I put him on A-10 or perhaps a straight draw. The turn comes up another five and the river a two. I flip up my KK and he groans as he turns over 10-7. He had me beat until the five came up on the turn. I should have read him better after the flop but I had to act first. Also, how does he call a fifty dollar raise with only 10-7 offsuit preflop? Perhaps I should have put him on a set when he raised me after the flop. Clearly, I need to get better at reading players because in this had I was lucky not good. The over $800 pot still put a smile on my face as I walked out to my car fifteen minutes later. :)

No comments: