Monday, July 02, 2007

$1500 WSOP Event 49

It was the third largest field EVER at the WSOP--well over 3000 people. My first table had a couple of European pros who were super aggressive. One guy almost went out on the first hand when JJ beat 99. We also had a super hottie dressed in a halter top who kept adjusting it. She busted out in less than an hour. That helped the rest of us who could then focus only on the cards.

I ran my chips up to $10000 by the first break and thought I was in great shape. Right after the first break, I got queens. I made it $800 to go after a couple limpers. The guy in the big blind called and the others folded. The flop came out 10-9-8 with two spades. The big blind checked. With a straight draw and an overpair, I thought I was good but I didn't want the BB to catch a card. So, I made it $2400 honestly just hoping he would fold. Instead of folding he came over the top and raised me. I went into the tank for 5 minutes and folded thinking he might have had pocket 10s. He flipped up pocket 88s and despite losing $3200 I felt okay. I then waited for 20-25 hands folding everything because I had NOTHING. On the button I got, K-7 suited. I was just trying to steal the blinds with an $800 raise when the BB called. The flop came out 447. The big blind checked. I thought I was good when I paired my 7 and wanted to end the hand. So, I made it $1200 to go. The BB reraised me! I thought he might have been slow playing a high pair so I folded. He turned over 8-4 OFFSUIT......CRAZY. He said he likes to play a variety of hands.

I then went into a total tight mode hoping to get a decent hand. Just before the end of the fourth level I looked down at K10 suited. My stack was now back down to $3000 and the blinds were about to go up. One guy called and I was in middle position. So I tried to make a move and went ALL-IN. Everyone else folded around to the first position limper. He studied me for a couple minutes and then called. I knew I was in trouble when he called. He was fairly tight. His AQ sent me to the rail.

I was steamed for several hours and upset that I didn't wait for a better hand. I probably shouldn't have played with K7 or K10 suited. They just aren't very good hands. They were, however, the best I saw and the blinds/antes were brutal with only $3000 in starting chips. I went out somewhere between 2200 and 2400. They don't post the numbers when their that high.

Overall, a great learning experience. I must admit I was fairly nervous and didn't read people well at all. I made one big mistake as well. I was in position 10 in the big blind. I thought everyone had folded over to me and I looked down at KK. I was disgusted to get a walk on such a great hand so I flipped them up. I didn't see the guy under the gun had made a $600 raise. The dealer looked at me and informed me of the raise. I immediately went all in. The guy folded and showed AK. He only had $1500 left at the time but that could have been mine.

Many lessons learned. I will be back next year

Next time how I got amazing cards in a cash game......

AM

No comments: