Friday, January 27, 2006

Bay 101 Friday Tourney

I played in the Bay 101 tourney today. It is a $120 buy in with typically 100 players. I decided to be more aggressive in the early rounds this time. Last time I played I exited 76 out of about 125 players.

At the first break I was down to just $2000 in chips from a starting stack of $3000. Last time I waited too long for a great hand and essentially got blinded off. This time I chose my spot with about $1800 left and A-8 suited. With the blinds at $300-600, I really didn't have a choice. Unfortunately, I thought at the time two people called me. Then the flop came A-8-6 all off suit-a beautiful rainbow. I tripled up and was on my way. Better lucky than good.

I dragged a couple other small pots and stole some blinds with aggressive under the gun and big blind semi-bluffs. Before I knew it we were down to 15 players with the top 10 getting paid. At the break I had $15,000 in chips with the blinds at $2000-$4000. As I entered the final push, I made a conscious decision to try to hang around and make the final table. I was ahead of 4-5 players and had the button so I played super tight. That was easy for 3 hands (total junk) and then I woke up with pocket nines. One guy went all in three off the button and then it was my turn. He had played it tight so I gave him credit and folded. One of the guys who was behind me called him and I thought I had made the right play. K-J and A-10 showed up in their hands and the Ace high won the pot. The very next hand I got pocket 9s again. This time I was under the gun. I checked and other guy went all in. I folded. No one was eliminated in that hand either and the nines would have held up that time as well. The blinds were now up to $3000-6000 and I was in trouble.

I punted on both my small and big blinds to raisers and then had only $6000 left when I woke up with A-8 of clubs. I really didn't think I see anything better so I tossed it in despite the board saying there were only 11 players left. The small blind called and the big blind checked it. Both of them had A-Q. Suffice it to say they split the pot and I was out at number 11/100, out of the money by one spot.

I learned a great lesson. If you are on the bubble and get reasonably good cards especially back to back, BET THEM HARD. Don't get too tight and lose a chance to increase your stack AND survive into the money round.

Any thoughts?

AM

1 comment:

phat said...

Folding the 9s when you had less than 4BB was very tight, I'm not sure many people would have folded there. As it turned out you would have won the hand but you could have been up against 4 overcards, which would make you a dog. Can't fault your move with the A8s in that position.

I tend to start getting aggressive a few spots out from the bubble. As a result I have more 12th to 14th finishes than any other place in MTT's :)

Thanks for stopping by my page. I'll link you up if you do the same.