Monday, January 23, 2006

No Limit at Mandalay Bay

Flew in at the last minute to Vegas to escape Orlando and Hurricane Wilma. Got the Rain Man Suite upgrade at THE HOTEL. The room was 50% bigger than the usual suite and of course in perfect condition. I do love THE HOTEL. But this post is about poker. I sat in on the $200 buy-in no limit game at the Mandalay Bay.

It was a moderately tight game with some nice people playing. Two software guys from Chicago and an older local named Spike. He had a railroad tie as his lucky charm at the table. The game was filled mostly with good players and a couple bozos who would call $100 bets with nothing. I played super tight and caught AK and KK to win some early pots. It was kind of a grind except for the friendly chatter with the software dudes and Spike. The staff in the poker room were also very nice. It is a small room but a relaxing place to play.

I woke up in the big blind with K-8 suited and checked it to 3 other players. No one raises pre-flop. The flop comes J-6-K with no flush draw for me.. I have a low kicker so I check. Should I have bet? Two other guys check and then one guy bet 15 bucks representing probably jacks. I come over the top with his $15 and then $50 more trying to win the pot right there. I am feeling quite good about myself until the guy to my left comes over the top of me making it another $100. I can't see him too well because I am in seat 10 and he is in seat 1. I'm thinking did he slow play a set of jacks or kings? The other guys fold and then I think about it for about 10 seconds before folding. He flips over J-6 and I am left to wonder if I played the hand right. I'll have to check this one with Phil or Antonio. Any thoughts from the web?

No comments: