Monday, March 13, 2006

On Tilt Part One

Life has been too busy for poker recently. I still wanted to try my luck at the Bay 101 Friday tourney which I thought started at 9.45 am. I got there right at that time and bought in for $120 bucks. I got called as the 2nd alternate and sat down about 9.55. It was kind of like Phil Hellmuth starting late. I counted my chips and was bummed to find only 2400 out of a starting amount of 3000. Worse yet, it was already the third round with blinds at 50/100 chips. I had not noticed that the tourney began at 9.15. Big Mistake number one of the day. After throwing away my hands for almost two orbits, it was now round four and the blinds were 100/200. I was down to 2100 in chips and in trouble. I was in mid position with A-9 of diamonds. I decided to try to steal the blinds. I made it $1000 to go. Everyone folded except the button who tanked for a while then called. Not what I was looking for. I was essentially pot committed. The flop came no face cards and only one diamond. I decided to represent a big pair and went all in. The idea was to again win the pot right then. The button again went into the tank for a long time. Unfortunately, he then called with JJ. The turn and river were blanks and I was out of the tourney in 47th place (70 started). It was only the beginning of several bad moves on my part that day. more later... AM

Check out Surgical Poker for more stories.

No comments: